1. I’ve just been really into this song this week.
2. We made vision boards in small group this week. My word for the year is “fight.” My goal is to learn how to fight for the things that are important to me instead of letting life sort of take over. And to learn how to put on the full armor of God. I want to fight for bigs things this year.
3. Presents are always fun.
4. Love Abby. We were wearing reverse matching outfits.
5. Sushi with the Dolls. Always down for a group pic. Also- it’s an addiction. So much sushiiii
Honorable mention goes to Christina. But I’ve been trying to take less creeper pictures of her. Ha
That was my week! This week is going to be busy- I can feel it! Some days, most days, I feel like I have twenty tabs open in my brain and I can’t shut any of them! I can hear Lori’s voice telling me to learn how to rest. Maybe that can be a goal too- fight for balance.
Linking up with Lauren Elizabeth’s High Five for Friday!
This has been a great week….even if it meant saying goodbye to dear friends Jen & Clark. Jen and I kicked off our friendship because I asked her to join my financial support team when I was working for Chi Alpha……after she had just quit her job. Haha We met at D’lish and just chatted for hours… And we’ve been friends since. Jen & Abby have been such huge answers to prayer in my life and it’s really hard to see Jen leave. But- it’s for the best and it’s very bittersweet. I celebrate this new season they are stepping into, but it sucks for Team Tissue. (That’s what Abby and I call ourselves because we’re ALWAYS crying.) Okay I’m getting ahead of myself…. Here are my top 5 of the week.
1. Jen & Clark going away coffee. We threw together a last minute coffee get together at Lux so people could say goodbye to these fabulous people. I had never been to Lux- it’s awesome! I weirdly didn’t have coffee but their Mac & Cheese was a awesome….mostly because it had bacon & jalapeño.
2. Frozen. Betsy is in a wedding tomorrow (Congrats Larissa & Herman!) so she is in town for a few days. Mag, Bets, Candi, and I went to see Frozen. I cried literally the whole time……. It’s so good. Who ever wrote it HAS to know Jesus! It says so much about being honest about your feelings. It shows how hiding only hurts those around us. It shows that when we think we are protecting other from our burdens, we’re really hurting them! It says when we embrace freedom, it allows others to be free. It’s says true love can melt a hardened heart! Yes- I got all of this from a Disney movie.
3. Sushi with the dolls. I actually had sushi 2 nights in a row. I’m probably going to get mercury poisoning…or whatever you get from sushi. It’s so fun to go with friends. I wish everyone worked with people as fabulous as I work with!
4. Raisin Town! It’s so fun to hang out with Rae while she’s in town! We were able to grab breakfast at Snooze. They just opened an Arizona location- and it’s so so so good! (There’s on in San Diego and Denver!)
5. Busted out the new boots! I got these new boots after Christmas and I was so nervous to wear them! But I actually love them and I’m so glad I took the risk!
That’s my week- lots of time with great friends. Life in the fab lane…… it’s great.
Linking up with Lauren Elizabeth’s High Five for Friday!
For the first time in 3 years, my sisters and I ventured back to our home town of Cary, Il 60013 for Christmas! We were so so excited to see how things had changed and what it would be like to go back.
It was weird. We went to some of our fav restaurants: Portillos (even though we have them in AZ now!) , Kojaks, and The Tracks. If you’ve never had a burger from The Tracks, then you haven’t lived. So amazing.
It was freezing cold- like 2°….literally. We survived, though! Mom and Dad spoiled us rotten. My dad makes the best breakfasts. I have great memories of waking up to the smell of pancakes and bacon. Mom had every detail perfect- from cute welcome baskets with new PJ’s & treats to Christmas presents that we didn’t even know we wanted. (My mom is the ultimate gift giver.)
It was funny to go back and realize that Cary does have a certain small town charm. I think it’s one of those things where everyone hates where they grow up. So much of my life feels like it’s in Arizona that it sometimes feels like I never lived in Cary.
We spent a day in the city shopping. There is just no other city like Chicago. It’s old & new, normal & spectacular- all at the same time. We grabbed some great bargains.
And then it was time to go home. It was weird for Betsy to head to SD and not home with me & Mag. It was so nice to spend time with the whole family and really special to have a white Christmas.
I’m glad to be back in AZ. I have a great feeling about 2014. Lots of new chapters opening and lots of change at hand- I’m excited.
Here are some bonus pictures:
This year, for Christmas, my sister Maggie got all the girls in the family these cool key necklaces. I love keys (and have given them as gifts before!), but these offer a little bit more.
They are from The Giving Keys. This company employs homeless people that engrave and assemble the necklaces (and other cool accessories- like rings and phone cases!).
Caitlin Crosby, the founder, started the company with the idea that “in a way we are all like these keys — unique, flawed, scarred, and at risk of being discarded.” I love that.
The other catch with The Giving Keys <is that when the key has served you well, you are supposed to pay it forward to someone else who needs it.
Mine says "grace." On my drive home, I was thinking about what the word "grace" means. Grace is not sweet or amazing unless we realize our desperate need for it. This is the upside down kingdom: When we realize that we are sinful creatures, full of lust and greed and selfishness- and we put all of that at the feet of The King- then what we get back is overwhelming grace. That is supremely humbling.
I need lots and lots of grace, so I'm sure I'll have my key for quite a while. It's a reminder, tied around my neck, of my need for oceans of grace.
"Romans 5:1-2 Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God.”
What a FUN week! Here are the top 5 fun things!
1. Spaghetti Dinner! Jen & Clark had us all over for a spaghetti dinner. It was so lovely- I got to see Mag, Clark made his own version of egg nog, and the boys built a fire!
2. Nails & Breakfast Buzz! I’m in love with my latest nails & I hit up D’lish for a breakfast buzz smoothie! My fav!
3. New Planner! I love it! So classic and pretty and simple! Love!
4. Aubray! Christina and I got to see Aubray compete in her show! It was so fun and weird and interesting and crazy. These people are BEASTS! But Aubray did a great job and it was so cool to see her in a different setting than I’m used to seeing her!
5. Team Tissue. Love Abby and our tears a plenty.
Great week! So much celebration & time with friends.
It’s raining right now. I am not the typical Arizonan. I hate the rain. It’s inconvenient, it makes my hair frizz, and it sucks to drive in the rain. I’m trying to make the most of it by sipping some coffee and listening to the rain before work. This weekend, I’m excited to go to Andrea‘s HP Warm Up Your Walls party with the girls! Yay!
Linking up with Lauren Elizabeth’s High Five for Friday!
Time for another installment of High Five for Friday. In the spirit of blogging and Thanksgiving and whatever…..I’m finally back in the saddle.
1. You guys…I met an Internet/youtube celeb. Seriously, I texted my sister and she was like,”Hahahaha oh I’m glad you hung out!!! She’s always been a mystery to me.” The sad part about this is that we met at a going away party for Chad & Shaina.
2. Clean sheets and sleep. I slept until 11:40am this week. That is crazy for me. But felt so good!
3. I redid my chair! I love it!
4. Social Media Seminar. SEO, Google+, HTML…it’s a myspace generations dream come true.
5. Movie day. My dear Claudia & I had a movie and pizza and failed pancake day. It was glorious.
That’s my top 5 for the week! I’m excited for this weekend! I get to go see Aubray compete in her fitness show. She has worked so hard. Plus-I’m soooo excited for the people watching!
How was your week?!
Linking up with Lauren Elizabeth!
I was at an event the other night and I was watching someone do something that I have a lot of opinions about. #shocker. (It doesn’t really matter what…just accept my vaugueness..haha) All of a sudden these thoughts started going through my head.
“Ugh I wonder if she does it that way all the time?”
“If it was me, I’d do it totally differently. My way is totally out of the box and more authentic.”
And then… I don’t know if it was the Holy Spirit or just something clicking into place- probably a bit of both- but I thought:
“I am not the best.”
I do not know the most. My ways aren’t the only ways.
It was not in a self deprecating way. It was more of a reality check sort of way. It reminded me of a time I was praying for a place very close to my heart- I was begging God for breakthrough there. He gently reminded me that He loved that place more than I ever could. He showed me that I was holding tightly on to that place, instead of giving it to Him. His heart is bigger and His love is stronger for that place. He knows it better.
There is a certain freedom in the acceptance that I am not the best. It frees other people up to not be the best either. I think we step into authority when yield to His authority & wisdom. The Kingdom is such a weird place.
There are lots of areas that I think I’m the best at controlling: my future, my relationships, my life in general…but at the end of the day Isaiah 55:8-9 is true:
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts, and My ways are not your ways,” says the Lord. “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.
I am not the best. And, for that, I am very thankful.
This past Wednesday, Abby and I went to the Arizona State Fair! I had never been before but Abby was an old pro! It was “We Care Wednesday” & if you brought bus passes or tube socks, you got in fo’ free if you get there before 6pm! Despite a weird parking debacle and getting there after 6pm, they still let us in with our bus passes! Oh and did I mention the fact that admission included admission to the SNOOP DOGG/Lion concert? Yep. It’s true.
We ate fair food: lemonade, bacon wrapped corn, fried Oreos, & Lemonade! Yum!
We saw animals!
We also went on the Ferris wheel……this was my first time on a Ferris wheel and it was terrifying. But I did it! Here is the progression of my face:
Clearly Abby was just fine. I kept asking her, “WHY DO PEOPLE THINK THIS DEATH TRAP IS FUN?!”
We also ventured on to the Tilt-o-Whirl, played some games, met someone from South Africa, and did some grade A people watching.
We ended the night with 5 seconds of Snoop Dogg. His show randomly started on time so we only caught the last few seconds….which was…..Snoop Dogg ish.
It was a perfect first trip to the fair! I can’t wait to go back for more bacon next year!
I’ve fallen in love with a puppy. If you know me, you know that’s totally bizzaro.
I’m embracing fall to the fullest- oatmeal, packages from mom, pumpkin candles, and these easy peasy cookies
Lemonade on lemonade. It’s my ultimate fav bev. Postinos & Chop Shop pictured. Honorable mention to AJ’s lemonade.
Betsy came to town. Sister time is the best time.
Spontaneous fire & dinner are things that make me love Arizona.
My little Catfish family…or at least their feet. I am so blessed to work with some beautiful, smart, fun & funny girls. It really is the sweet life.
In other news, I’ve been blogging & graming & pinning for my job- which is fun but harder than you think!
Abby and I are relaunching our small group. We’d love for you to come!
I’m also going to the Fair tonight and I’m so excited! Maybe I’ll catch a glimpse of Snoop Dogg! (He’s performing tonight.) here is the only advice I’ve revived this far:
I think that’s all. What have you been up to lately?
Mag was on Fall break this week and it’s easier for me to get time off during the week than the weekends- so we decided to take a trip to Prescott! We were so blessed to be able to use a friends cozy cabin!
We made the most of the few days- we went on a little hike near a little lake. So so nice to be in some cooler, crisp air.
We had coffee & dessert at The Hassayampa Inn. Ooh they had this great, light lemon cake! Breakfast at Creekside- nestled behind The Dinner Bell. We cooked food too, spent time around the fire place, took naps, and accidentally ended up at a dog festival.
It was a great way to kick off the fall season. We head back to Phoenix this afternoon…..and I can’t wait to come back!